Just finished a book titled: “Great American Scandals“by Michael Farquhar. Fascinating reading about those nasty things that have gone on in this country since our founding.
It’s about the duels, betrayals, fights, crimes and other things that have taken place in the years past-mostly by our Founding Fathers and their friends-later other illustrious people, all in glorious and sordid detail.
There is an Appendix to this book and I read it quite thoroughly. It lists the details of every single President to George W. Bush and lists their singular historical distinction.
So it’s only missing Barack Obama and the new President-elect.
I can say with pretty good odds that Mr. Obama’s distinction is going to be that he is the first African-American president elected with the majority of the popular vote. Pretty obvious to anyone who knows American history.
The new President is going to have many distinctions in our history if placed into this context, and not many of them very good.
Here’s a partial list:
1. Richest man to ever win the Presidency, and not by his own hard work-Daddy was rich, too. Only President to have an active role in the company he owns and has declared he will not divest of before taking office.
2. Won with a historical lower percentage of the popular vote, but with an over-whelming Electoral College vote.
3. First President to have ever been married 3 times. Ronald Reagan was previously the only one to have been divorced.
4. First President to have been involved in an active fraud case at the time of his election, which he settled out of court. First to also have a huge number of active lawsuits pending before his taking office, and still not settled.
5. First President to have openly insulted large groups of the American people with impunity during the campaign without stint. Openly mocked many people, and never apologized to any of them.
6. First President to be aligned with the white nationalist groups and neo-Nazis. He also has never (to date) disavowed this. He’s also been noted as a sexual predator by numerous women.
I could go on and on about the list of dubious distinctions that Donald Trump will have with his taking the oath of office. I won’t bore you with the many other things that he is very well-known to have done, like the “Billy Bush” tapes. There are too many of them to list in one column.
Because of that, I will just ask this one question that puzzled me since Election night:
How the hell is this country going to survive being run by an erratic, ignorant racist without any shred of ethics or morals?
I don’t know, and that is why so many people are so very scared right now.
Because Donald Trump is completely the antithesis of the type of man who should be in the White House: a man with a clear past and a promising administration who will bring hope to all.
From what I can see, all we can look forward to is more scandal, slime and mud-slinging for the next 4 years, with untold damage to our country, reputation and lives.
Charles M. Blow did an outstanding column last week which resonated with millions of people, and I recommend it to you to read.
It’s worthy of a Pulitzer, and absolutely true-far better written than anything I could ever hope to write in my wildest dreams. Please read it if you haven’t, and re-read it if you have.
It’s the truth about our new President and it should be required reading for everyone who voted for him.
To that, I say, “Amen, brother!”.