Ten Rules for being an adult
I’ve seen more than my fair share of ‘grown-up’ people acting like children. Often with absolutely no reason, and with results that are quite ridiculous.
Behaving like a child is great if you’re a kid-but once you hit a certain age, it just makes you look stupid.
So in the cause of enlightening others into the ways of the adult world, here are some valid hints on how to act like an adult and be respected as one.
1. It’s not all about you. Simple, isn’t it? The world does not revolve around you, your needs or wants. True, to you, it should, but there are other people in the world who are sharing the same space. Stop thinking you’re the only one who needs/wants something. For quick reference, see Rule 10.
2. Be kind to everyone. Yes, it is hard with some people-they just make it so darned difficult to be kind to them. Make the effort, though. Just because you can. It might not seem like much, but the results can pay off in the long-term.
3. Don’t hurt others intentionally : emotionally, physically or mentally. Think of what it must be like to be the other person you just hurt. Doesn’t feel so hot now, does it?
4. Take responsibility for yourself and your actions. Nobody else is going to. Not your husband/wife, brother, sister or even your parents. You’re the one in charge of your life.
5. Say “please” and “thank you” often. Politeness does carry you a long way. It makes you look like a good person to actually act like one.
6. Own up to your mistakes. They’re inevitable, and passing the buck to someone else is a cheat. If you get found out, it really bites, because it makes you look like a liar, doesn’t it?
7. Apologize for your mistakes, as well. Sure, it makes you feel stupid now, but the honesty will be appreciated.
8. Don’t repeat the mistake you just made. Learn from it.
9. Keep your mouth shut and listen more. It’s amazing what you can learn from doing this!
10. Don’t expect the world to kiss your ass. Really. Just because you’re here does not mean you’re entitled to everything that you think you are.
So there you have some rules of how to be an adult. Apply them everyday, and see what amazing results you will have!